Process for making new windows for my 1090, from the correct 12mm Perspex material.
1 ) Drawings :
I have made the drawings, and I have the machinery to make these pieces,
The correct procedure is applied to make the curve on the front windows etc.
2 ) Materials :
Because the material is to be purchased in large piece (2m x 3m) I have material to make some extra windows. If other owners of Feeling 1090 needs one or all window, I can make from the extra material, for a price much less than the commercial price ... you can choose if it is made with or without the holes.
If there is any interest in this, please let me know ...
3) Removing old windows :
An interesting point ... when removing the window, I used a knife to cut the adhesive ... I was expecting the knife to stop where there is the screws, but in most cases, it did not stopped ... it passed though ... the reality is the screws had completely corroded. Nothing remained of the screw inside the window, just a white dust ...
The process has started ... the plastic and wood is all being replaced.
The port lining is made, routed on the CNC, veneered in European Elm ... looks good.
For the side, it is easy ... 10mm plexiglass, no problem. I would think to make only in one piece ... if manufactured in 2 pieces, it is another place for the water to enter.
I do not put holes in mine, I seal direct, with Sikaflex 295 UV.
For the front, it is difficult ... 12mm plexiglass, it is bent or formed with heat ... a form has to be made for the exact shape, and the plexiglass heated in an oven.
The final panel is drawn ... this completes all the measurment, next is the fabrication.
The first pieces of the lining are replaced ... the colour difference is amazing. When you compare the new white to the old white ... it had become brown with years. The light is not good in these photos, the result is better than it looks in the image.
Soon we start positioning the new woodwork.
The new Perspex arrives ...
And, the windows are cut ... now I have to put the front window in an oven to make the correct shape ...
All the wood is cut on my CNC router ... it is much easier than cutting by hand. If you need the drawing, let me know.
The final piece is veneered, I put some photos of the process.
The first coat of varnish is applied ...
And, the first panel was replaced !
Some hours with clamps and epoxy ... and some work with the router, but now it is ready to receive the Perspex on the outside.
And the first window is complete !
From outside, with the clean form it looks very nice. No screw holes is a big improvement I think.
5 ) Materials and addresses :
I got the veneer from here :
It is "European Elm, Straight Cut" ... the pieces are ~ 3m x 0.2m
The glue is iron on. It is a sheet. The technique is first you place the sheet on the plywood and lightly fix with the iron. Then, remove the paper. Place the veneer on the glue, make the arrangement and finally press with the iron. Use some clean paper so the iron does not mark the veneer.
The glue sheet is here :
The plywood is good quality hardwood ply. It is not expensive "marine ply" because it should not be in the water (I hope!).
We used Sikaflex 295UV with Sika 209D primer. 2 windows are now installed, next is the front window, which I need to heat in the oven ...
Robin Szemeti sur Encyte