Dossiers 1090/1040

Dossiers autres modèles

Bienvenue, Invité
Nom d'utilisateur : Mot de passe : Se souvenir de moi
  • Page :

SUJET :

Sailing Feeling 39 DI with centerboard up 13 Jui 2017 10:10 #1238

I am the owner of a Feeling 39 DI (2007 model, probably the only one in Norway. I have a question that I like to publich at the Club Feeling Site:

At the navigation table and at the wheel there are warning signs that says; “This boat is only intended to be sailed with the centerboard locked in the lowest position”.

As I thought there in some conditions might be some advances sailing with the centerboard in upper or intermediate positions, I contacted the Privilege-marine with this question and they answerd:
“I know there is people that sail downwind with the centerboard up but it is not recommended for obvious security reasons as the stability of the boat will not be assured”.

I guess what they are talking about is the directional stability as the position of the CB do not change center of gravity.?
Any members with experience of using the centerboard on an Feeling 39 DI actively in different conditions (like reaching and downvind sailing)?
Any structural/mechanical reasons for this warning sign? Less sideway support of the CB when not in lowest position?

Best regards

Pål Adolfsen
Feeling 39 DI “Ea”
Norway

Connexion ou Créer un compte pour participer à la conversation.

Sailing Feeling 39 DI with centerboard up 17 Jui 2017 12:30 #1244

Pal,
although I could not find the stability curve for the F39, you can have a look on the F32's:
www.clubfeeling1090.fr/courbe-stabilite-f36di-b
This curve is made with the center board down, obviously.
I guess the stability curve with the center board up would be much different, and more risky.
Does anyone has the F39DI stability curve ?
Merci,

Sailing Feeling 39 DI with centerboard up 18 Jui 2017 15:55 #1245

Hi Pal,

I completely agree with you that sailing with centreboard up often feels more natural for the Feeling 39 DI! During our 20'000 NM trip on Sterre - a Feeling 39 DI from 2009 - we at times raised the keel when sailing downwind. This translates in a gain of approx. 3-5 tenth of a knot (!) and the boat becomes much smoother on the water - we felt like on a magic carpet!! The magazine Palstek tested the F39 DI and mentioned that they sailed the boat with centreboard up and very good experience (see the article )

But obviously, these markings in the boat mentioning not to sail with the keel up are a bit worrying... I think they are the results of the certification where the righting moment was computed with the keel down. But on the other hand, the board weights approx. 300 kg, whereas the ballast in the bottom of the boat is 3.5 tons. That means that much of the F39's stability comes from the ballast and not the keel. But obviously, computing the righting moment with keel down might make the difference for an off-shore certification.

When it comes to security, my readings often mentioned that boats like F39 DI, Ovni's, etc... are superior because having the possibility to raise the keel offers a bigger range of tactics when storm sailing. Actually, you might find out that when surfing down a wave, having the keel fixed/down will rather make you trip over it and put the boat in a very dangerous position.

So in conclusion, our findings and behaviour where basically the following:
1. when wheather is okay and we sail down-wind, there is no risk in raising the keel
2. when you raise the keel, make sure to properly block it on both sides/ropes as standard procedure when down, so that the board could not drop in case of extreme healing/capsize
3. in case of doubt, block the keel in the downward position as recommended

All these statements here are the result of our thoughts and experience. Consider them at your own risk and without any proof of correctness. As Alliaura mentioned it on your request, the official version is that you always should keep the board down. Personally, I think there are situations where having the keel up would increase safety, but I have no idea what would happen if you would capsize with the board up. We never tried that, but I think even then the 3.5 tons on the roof would then tilt the boat back in the initial position, assuming rough seas with high waves.

Looking forward to other contributions on a topic where we did also not have a final answer.

Good sailing (with the board up :-))!!

Sailing Feeling 39 DI with centerboard up 20 Jui 2017 18:52 #1248

Bonjour à tous,
au portant je remonte partiellement la dérive pour améliorer la stabilité de route. Je ne suis pas sûr de gagner grand chose en vitesse.
Je pense que la stabilité "verticale" est très peu modifiée par la position de la dérive. Quand le bateau est roulé par une vague, je pense que le fait de remonter la dérive est plutôt favorable.
Par contre, j'ai remarqué que la dérive avait un effet protecteur sur les orins et autres cordages susceptibles de s'accrocher à l'hélice ou aux safrans. Les cordages en question "glissent" alors sous la dérive et sont moins souvent accrochés...
par contre il est important que la dérive ne cogne pas dans son puits.
cordialement à tous
Patrice Vernusset (17è année de navigation sur Lady Marie)

• Page :